Tuesday 21 May 2013

What?! Turkeys!

It was pretty early and as I lay in bed still half asleep.. I heard a familiar sound! What sound you ask?! Well, none other than the sound of a turkey! That's right, looks like there will be turkeys on this trip.. is what I thought to myself before muttering the single word "turkeys" to which Emma responded with "huh? what?" in her dazed asleep-like state! When I said turkeys again for the second time, she shot up and took off outside but not before asking me if I was coming too.. I thought for like a whole second and said naaa, thinking that if they are here this early in the trip then I will have plenty of other morning to turkey hunt! So Emma left me and went outside to hunt down the crazy looking beasts! 
She snapped this photo, a single turkey, alone in a tree.. calling out for friends. No-one but Emma came. I blame this for the fact that the turkey never returned, nor did any turkey friends. Emma is just not turkey looking enough for a turkey to want to hang out.. sad but true.

After the turkey excitement, it was time to get ready.. we were getting a ride in with Hank. We got to see her morning routine on the road.. stopping off at Starbucks to get the simplest coffee order in the world.. Venti Black Bold. It all went off without a hitch and we got to witness the fact that America has drive-thru coffee.

Hank dropped us off at the station close to her work and we set off in work peak time for catching the very sardine like train into Boston. After a little fluffing with trying to buy our weekly tickets we were off to enjoy the good morning smell of people going to work..

Our first stop was a cupcake shop called 'Crumbs Bake Shop' so you know, as you could imagine.. I couldn't help but want to go there to taste their wares..
Peanut Butter Cup: this cupcake was very nice, sweet and salty goodness.
Key Lime: this cupcake was very sweet, sweet on sweet. We originally picked it coz we thought LIME! that will break the sweetness.. but it was a very sweet frosting. There was a small white lime filling too.. but again that was sweet. The cupcake was ruined in my opinion by all the sweetness. Also, in my opinion.. they could easily be half the size, which would make them more enjoyable to try and eat. If you have to eat a cupcake with a spoon, then you may as well have a piece of cake. We didn't have a spoon and they were incredibly difficult to eat without making a mess of yourself and the surrounding area. Glad I tried them tho.

After grabbing a Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake and also a Key Lime Cupcake, we headed to the park to enjoy them in the sunshine.. it was indeed yet another stunning day. The weather has been just simply wonderful for this trip, but then again it seems Emma and I do get good weather when we travel.. with the exception to the occasional hiccup, the Lisbon Rains (can you believe it has been nearly 2yrs since we were there?!) and the Snowy Stockholm day, however.. we never let weather get in our way of anything.. yes but anyways, we were at the park taking in the rays, getting stuck into our cupcakes when this little fella arrived...
SQUIRREL!
We didn't take many photos of him, but we were naughty and gave him cupcake leftovers and he was very amusing.. I am glad that we opted to enjoy the moment with him, rather than try to snap photos of him being all cute and stuff. It was a very happy start to the day indeed.. cute overload! Especially when he kept thinking that the string on my jacket was something to eat so would come under the bench to investigate! Or when he would stand there all squirrel like and wait for foodage. I wished I had more for him. Once Emma went and threw the cupcake container away.. he knew there was no more so he left us.. what a rude little shit! I reckon he and Nemo would be best friends! hahahaha

Moving on we headed towards Granary Burying Ground, where we encountered a rather excited lady, you see it had been her first time in the cemetery since she was 10 so she was re-discovering everything all over again. I could just imagine her excitedly going to work and telling her co-workers about it.. all excitedly of course. It is quite an awesome cemetery, and I simply love that in the middle of Boston they have it. It is all so old and the graves are worse for wear but they just have this charm. It is just lovely, you quietly walk around, reading what you can and just taking it in.

I especially loved the look of this big white tree..  I think Emma captured it wonderfully in this photo. [link]
We continued on and found our way to a cute steep little street, I was grateful there was a small sidewalk, coz it would have been an even slower walk up that type of cobble stone. We inched on, with a leisurely stroll through the park.. where we laid witness to more beauty, a swan boat and even a couple of superheroes in training!

We came across the Boston Marathon site, looked on at the messages of support, toys, flowers and even pairs of running shoes that were left. I couldn't quite believe they still had news trucks there casing the joint. Mind you it also feels like so long that the bombs went off, Boston Strong definitely sums it up. People just helped and moved on as quickly as they could, in a good way. Just another reason to love Boston.

Our casual morning was nearing an end, the next stop was Brilliance Tattoo.. but first, I needed to have some lunch so that I could last the session.. as of this point I did not know how long it would be! Tattoo Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)