Sunday 19 July 2009

105km's down.. 4 to go!

Couple of hours before Abisko - Abisko

Emma gave me a break from cooking and took on the mozzies and made breakfast for me today.. while I stayed all curled up in my bag inside the security of the tent.. it was total bliss.. however I don't think Emma enjoyed it too much if her face is anything to go by! lol After breakfast we saw the grey clouds closing in so we packed up as quick as we could and made a hasty retreat.. in fact we were so fast that we didn't get rained on at all! ACE! However Emma did get hit on by an old lady.. she has all the luck right?
Our tent was a little behind this.. we forgot to take a pic of it before we packed down.. silly us!
River side art.. there was so much of it!
The last 4km of the hike seemed to go by rather quickly with a good steady tempo in the areas that we could actually geta good steady tempo that is, because of course there were still all the rocks to contend with.. and with again the added bonus of roots! oh and lets not forget mozzies! Who thought that I was their very own personal snack machine! Little bastards!
Kungsleden.. I kill you!
Once we reached the end we then had to find the tent area.. which seemed a little harder than we thought.. but we got there and picked the best spot we could out of all the shitty spots there was.. stones, lopsided and just crap.. worst of all they charge 110sek a night each for it.. but they had FLUSHING toilets and hand basins with taps!! and a shower.. the shower story is a little funny actually.. for hours and hours we kept going back to check that it was free and we could never get the door open and we were getting mighty pissed.. at 11:30ish pm I headed in to check one more time and that is when I doscovered that we had been checking the wrong door the entire time and that the door which led to what we thought was just a third toilet was actually in fact the freaken shower! So we quickly grabbed our gears and took charge of the shower! Ahhh fresh.. kinda.. as fresh as one can be in oldish clothes! lol
Ok lets go back a bit.. we got set up and headed off to check out the store and the area.. it was quite a happening little place with just a few mozzies which was totally a welcome relief! I was really looking forward to being mozzie free once we get home.. that is for sure! After having a nosy about, Nems, Em and I sat outside the store and ate ice blocks and chips and fed the birds.. which turns out.. birds don't much like me in this part of Sweden either as one bird tried to take my head off while I was waiting for Emma to come out with the goodies! We then dropped Nems off at the tent and headed back so that I could go and have a looksie inside.. which is where we came across a little lounge area that had big comfy couches.. so as you could imagine.. we got a drink and a chocolate bar and had a little sit down.. it was way nice to be on an actual seat! Once again just what the doctor ordered!
Not wanting to leave Nems alone for too long we headed back to have a rest in the tent, where I zonked out for a couple of hours and had a weird dream about Emma knitting.. is this what hiking does to me? Or maybe I was overdosing on choco and fizz!
I really have had some rad hairstyles!!
The things Nemo lets Emma get away with!
Nemo really does love his sticks..
We stayed up late and checked out the midnight sun.. even after the past 9 days I was still not used to there being no darkness.. I really couldn't imagine living there and even more so in winter when its all darkness.. just nuts to me.
Sometimes I forget how short She-Ra is!
My sausage toes feel a little worse for wear today but I am happy that I don't have to wear my boots again! Thank goodness for my sandals.. however thongs would have worked just as well and at only a fraction of the weight.. but hey whats an extra 800gms when you are already carrying 18kg right? LOL My blisters didn't get too much worse and to be honest my feet looked better than I thought they were going to.. score!

Oh and remember how I said we lost a peg.. well all of a sudden we appeared to have ALL the pegs and nothing was missing.. how this happened is anyones guess.. maybe the tenting gods felt a little sorry for me with the bent peg and broken knobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)