Tuesday 26 August 2014

The Elevator Shaft!

We headed out past the driveway from hell and were on the road again.. on the road to a little rainforest walk. A pretty well maintained walkway.. but I should think so considering it cost $8 each to do.

Again, with our butts planted firmly in the car we headed off to tackle the same roads we were on just yesterday before hitting up some new roads.. the roads to Victoria. 

We had a couple of pit stops along the way.. ones that were meant to be great but were far from it. The coffee joint served vile coffee. I actually went and tipped it out. I have no idea why they got such good reviews.. no one has taste buds in that town perhaps? However, they did do a good scone. Our lunch spot, was a place that apparently served great soup and sandwiches. It served us neither. We got a devilled eggs sandwich, which was more mayo than devil or egg. The bread was nice tho and 'homemade' and the clam chowdah was more just a chunky soup. I think I will stick to having clam chowdah in Boston from now on.

Off we went, the road beckoned! Stopping by another winery, and grabbing a tayberry wine.. which I thought might be nicely consumed for Christmas as a little something extra. This place had won a few medals..

It wasn't too long before we were dropping the car off and heading to the hostel. Checked in and headed up to find our room.. which we had trouble finding. It was right by the phone box, I don't really know how we missed it lol The room was actually an old elevator shaft that had been converted. The hostel is full of dinky little spots like that. They have made use of every inch of space. Kinda funky. 
I thought we would have trouble sleeping, with no airflow or anything but it actually wasn't bad at all and the bed was actually quite comfortable. We had bunks, with the lack of space, we opted to use the top bunk as our storage area and sleep together on the single bed.. luckily it was quite a spacious single bed. We haven't shared a single bed since.. we moved to Sweden. If we weren't so tired I think it would have been rather romantic! haha

Moving away from the sleep talk and back to the awake talk, we had Victoria to explore! First order of business was to partake in a local beer from the hostel bar..
Then we headed to the streets and wandered around some, taking in the sights and smells and noise! Before hitting a vegetarian joint for dinner.. which was even more amusing after a convo with Jason where he said he didn't really like veggies! bahahaha However, ALL of our meals were superb! There was not much convo happening as we were happily stuffing our faces!

A little amusing thing that happened while dining, our drinks came out.. the waiter asked who had the cider and looked at Emma and I, when Jason piped up and said it was his and then the beer was placed down for Emma and I. We shared one of their large bottles of beer, it seems the standard is 650ml, such an odd size. This beer was actually quite enjoyable.. Jason didn't think so tho. Beer isn't for everyone, but one can learn to love it. Look at Emma, just over a year ago she wasn't much of a fan at all.

The following morning, Emma and I headed out early to check out Chinatown before grabbing Jason and going down the street to a little diner for breakfast.. I am sure you can guess what I had? Yep, eggs benny! And some pancakes, Emma and I shared the pancakes. 

Then a touch more wandering around..
The posing squirrel, that little bugger went all Vogue! on Emma!
 

Oh Look! A random peacock just cruising around..
 ..before it was time to head off to the ferry terminal and back to the bustle of Vancouver. At the bus stop, we met a rather strange lady.. who I guess was a touch lonely and just wanted to talk to anyone? Then on the ferry, we ended up sitting not to far from her and hoping she didn't see us! She ended up chatting to a couple of younger people sitting behind her but not before taking a tumble and having to have the nurse come check on her. I parked up inside this trip, I froze outside on the way over and I just wanted some comfort this time around. I watched from my window as Emma floated about the boat! Happy as a clam she looked.

The trip back to Vancouver was long and slow but we made it, got checked into the hotel and then headed out to pick up our other luggage in storage. So glad we didn't have to cart everything with us. Godsend! 

On our way to get our luggage, we stumbled across some filming! Finally! Sadly, it wasn't anything we would even consider watching. Hopefully during the week I will stumble across some other filming.. as Vancouver is the home of many a tv show and movie. We called into Trees Organic Coffee again for a slice of cheesecake, which was pretty good and a coffee, which was revolting. I couldn't drink it. It was a far cry from that of what I had the other day. Very sad.

Back to the hotel we went and settle in for the night, Emma has a big day, a big week ahead. Food Network channel here we cometh! To be clear, that's not the big week.. that's just me excited about the food network and watching it in all the down time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)