Monday 25 August 2014

Salmon!

We had a bit of a lounging start to the day before heading off to Stanley Park again to check out a few of the areas that were better suited to walking rather than biking. We took a little stroll through some very relaxed and no fear ducks and geese. I mean you could get up right next to them and they wouldn't even move.. they batted a few eyes but that was really about the extent of it.

Then we got to have some fun with squirrels! Or well, mainly the one. It was collecting nuts that someone had left on the ground. Very cute and wow, how dark are the squirrels there?!

We checked out the Lost Lagoon and Beaver Lake, where Emma thought she saw a giant butterfly.. turned out to be a hummingbird.. yeah, I can see how they can be confused for one another. Emma's eyes = endless hilarity! Can anyone say is that a loaf of bread?!

I popped up in one of Emma shots, I still don't have the art perfected like Hank. That girl can pop up in photos and be all pristine! Me? I'm all a bit blurry.. but still funny!

How awesome does this lake look?! Lily-pad central!

After our morning in the park, we headed off for a coffee [photo] at 49th parallel. The coffee was divine and Emma really enjoyed her Lucky's blueberry donut. I just stuck to coffee, because.. reasons. Then we bundled ourselves off to Steveston. What's in Steveston you ask? Well, it just happens to be the town named Storybrooke, from a little show called Once Upon a Time. I don't overly like the show, but Emma does.. and so do a lot of people coz it keeps on bloody getting renewed! We were hoping that they might be doing some filming while we were there.. but nope. We were not that lucky. Turned out, we were actually one week too early. The following Tuesday they were indeed filming. Typical.

It wasn't a waste tho, coz we got to see the cute little town and then go on a salmon cannery tour. Which was actually really interesting and quite amusing and can I just say, wow. Those people worked damn hard. How awesome are these old salmon can labels?! I wanted them.

We finished off our time in Steveston with some rather nice fish n chips! The fish of choice? Well, it just had to be salmon.. it seemed like the right thing to do.. and it turned out to be really damn delicious! Also, turned out to be the best fnc I had in my 2 weeks in Vancouver, which is pretty sad coz it was a chain.

We headed off on buses, back through some areas that made me feel a little uneasy. There is a lot of homelessness, junkies and the like in Vancouver and in some areas you can see them lined up for entire streets. It was a little bit of a shock to the system to see it so in your face. My uneasiness wasn't a safety thing, after all I was sitting on a bus, it was more a sadness thing and a shock. I see homeless people every day, we have several in our town.. yes, several. Only several. Anyways, we decided to drown our uneasiness with a few brews at a new craft brewery.. of a similar name to that of the coffee place. No relation. 49 Parallel.

We tried 9 of their brews [photo], there were maybe 3 that were decentish. Again, they felt kind weak and lack luster. Several of them just tasted like each other. It is always fun to try new beers, it is something I really enjoy. I do not expect to like every single beer that I try but I do expect to have more of a wow factor, otherwise I may as well just drink.. lager. It was quite a popular place, it was very noisy but I'm not sure if people go there for the beer or the atmosphere.. coz I sure as hell wouldn't go for the service. The girl who served me needs a few lessons in.. well serving and I am not overly sure she knew much about beer. Not that I am a know all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)