Tuesday 18 December 2012

Brrrrrm Trabi!

Back out into the winter wonderland we went! There was snow, lots of glorious white snow everywhere! This is the snow that I love to look at, not that dirty yucky snow. We took a few snaps as we left and stumbled across areas of touristy, rememberence and Christmassy fun! Don't even ask what I am doing in the very top, right photo coz I don't know for the life of me, but it looked funny enough for me to share with the masses! You're welcome!
 
We even stumbled across our first, rather small Christmas market, where I discovered schneeballen, and of course I bought one, a apple cinnamon one, coz it looked the least sickly. lol
It was very dry and I think, pairs perfectly with a lovely hot cuppa tea.

Next up, we hit some lego santa fun!

We continued on our merry way towards the Trabi ride! We were going on a tour of Berlin in a little awesome Trabant! In 2008, Time magazine rated the Trabant as one of the 50 worst cars ever made.. and Emma had to drive it! Pinko, was too chicken to give it a go, I don't have a license and Jas, of yes, I should have mentioned we picked up a straggler! Jas is a uni mate of Emma's who is over this side of the world having a rather chilled walkabout! or well.. trainabout! Anyways, yes, Jas couldn't coz he didn't drive manual so that just left poor Emma who only drives once in a blue moon to tackle one of the worst cars in the world.. and she of course stepped up to the plate like she had a cape under her clothes!

We set off, it was just our car and the leading lady who held the tour, who was rather hilarious!

It was short lived tho, the Trabi we had was a little bit testy and just wouldn't run well. We couldn't get it to hold steady and the little green fella just kept dying, we ended up swapping cars with the leading lady, and even she was having issues with it.. and she was experienced! We set off in the new car, which turned out to be the type of Trabi that I actually ordered! So score! This is what Emma saw..

We made our way to check out a watch tower site, where we got a little lesson out in the cold and also discovered that the tower you see pictured just below, is not the original one for that site but one that was elsewhere that they purchased on eBay. Yes, eBay. Hilarious! Oh you Germanz, you crack me up!

After our cold lesson we headed back to the car for some cold driving.. getting little tidbits of info here and there, when the intercom thingo wouldn't cut out that is.. and it was a little hard to hear anyway but we caught some stuff.. I especially loved it when the leading lady was mid sentence and just went "excellent!" when she saw Emma take on a car and win so that we wouldn't get left behind. Seriously, I think Emma had at least cape socks on!

Soon it was time to get some warmth with a cuppa tea, and I got to try some rather yums bread that was spread with some fat and then salted, I could really get used to the German stylez! It was the little pick me up the our cold bodies needed.
We were on the home stretch when we got border stopped! With the biggest issue being that our visas were in the boot of our original car! In front of us.. deep down I hoped the guard would pull Pinko out of the passenger seat and give her some authentic.. somethings! He came around to her door you see.. so I thought maybe.. just maybe! But alas, our leading lady sweet talked the guard with some new visas and we were right to head on our merry way.. back to base we headed. We all made it back with our nerves complete! 

If you are ever in Berlin, then I fully recommend you jump to it. The booking and paying side is a little tiresome when trying to do it online, but I am glad I did stick with it so it was definitely an experience.. which probably would have been best suited for summer.. or at least warmer times. Trabi-safari site

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)