Monday 14 October 2013

Hooray!

It is that time of year when the weather cools down, the colours turn into all kinds of lovely bright shades and the leaves slowly make their way to the ground for our own enjoyment. Where we can frolic in the mountains of leaves.. if we can find and be bothered to rake up a large section that is. And listen to them crunch beneath our feet. Eventually they turn into a complete hazard and become rather slippery to walk on.. it is all part of the fun! Much like snow really.. the new snow is fun to walk on, the older more compact stuff is a death trap. I guess it goes to show that maybe every season has it's own type of death trap but every season definitely has it's own distinct beauty.

Also at this time of year, it is all about the pumpkin! So that meant the week leading up to this weekend, we partook in a form of pumpkin every damn day! You see, we discovered a crown prince pumpkin at the supermarket so we snapped it up. 4kg of pumpkinny goodness! We still have over half of it in the fridge as I type this.. so throw some pumpkin ideas at me! 

This weekend just gone was Emma's birthday, so we celebrated it in true pumpkin stylez! There was a pumpkin/halloweenish theme to the dinner, but of course you couldn't really incorporate pumpkin into the very delicious sandwich cake so that was the only thing that was pumpkin-less. Said sandwich cake.. 
...looking delicious as ever! And I am pleased to report I have gotten past my dill episode so I am able to eat dill without getting the urge to vomit again. Curse you Stockholm! But at least it was only a year I was dill-less! Next thing on the agenda to try again will be dill chippies! 

We decorated the place with pumpkins, at the entrance we had the very awesome large Jack Skellington pumpkin! which looked damn awesome! [photo] and in pitch darkness! [photo] Emma did a fantastic job of him! That was not the only pumpkin carved for the evening.. we also did little pumpkins for guests to take home that we placed across the table to enjoy first.. [photo of the mini pumpkins] Guests got to take them home along with some very very VERY delicious pumpkin truffles! The first photo up the top of this post is how we packaged them to go! Yep, awesome! and this photo below is what they looked like.. whole and cut in half.
Right now I am sure you are wishing you could taste the delicious pumpkinny goodness! Do not lick your screen.. for one.. germs! for two.. it won't taste like pumpkinny spicy goodness, it will taste like a screen! haha
Now, wouldn't you be happy after a good night of good food, drink and company if you got to take home a little fun and yummy gift? I think we did a wonderful job, not to blow our own horns or anything.

The pumpkin themed continued over into dessert, in the form of the Almighty Chocokin! It has been a while since I broke out the pumpkin and chocolate cake goodness with maple creamcheese frosting! It is epic! In both flavour and size!

A good night was had by all, there was even a little fright involved and really.. a night with a slight halloweenie feel wouldn't be complete without the addition of a fright! Emma and I were in the kitchen, Cilla walked in to give Emma a fright and who gets the fright? Me. Yes, that's right, folks. Me. I scare easily. Of course that then prompted Emma to tell the little story of how when I was in the shower, washing my hair like a good girl, she walked in to say something to me.. poked her head around the corner and I screamed. loudly and as Emma described like one of those scenes from a horror movie where you think that people don't actually scream that way they just do it for impact in the movie. Hands in the air and all that. Yep. That was me. I could have died. It was pretty funny tho, I will admit that. I will also admit that it happens way more than I care to think about.. the getting a fright in the shower.. not the dying part.

Birthdays.. I am glad they only happen once a year. So much work goes into the prep of having a dinner. I am far too used to cooking for just 2. Just the way I like it.. but it is nice to entertain on the occasion and it gives me a chance to try something new.. this time it was the delicious pumpkin truffles.. which will be made again and again.. not all the time, just for special occasions coz DAMN! they be deliciousness! Those warm spices just make you feel all warm and cosy. Fall, I love your pumpkinny spicy goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)