Tuesday 10 July 2012

mello yello, Lilla Torg, Malmö

Yesterday Emma and I headed off to Malmö for dinner at mello yello, coz you know we have been together 9 years now. A casual environment coz we don't do snooty. The meal started off well.. the staff were attentive. While hearing us speak English to one another, the waitress proceeded to speak English to us, even tho Emma ordered in Swedish. I thought that was nice.

Emma started with a pear cider, that was more like pear soft-drink and I had a beer. Emma ordered a cannelloni and I had the tuna. The meal was so far so good. I did quite enjoy both meals and when it was over Emma of course wanted a dessert. I had looked at the dessert menu when first arriving and nothing screamed eat me.. it all just screamed meh but Emma wanted chocolate cake, you would think she would be just as un-trusting as me when it comes to the word cake in Sweden, but alas no she took the gamble and ordered what they call chocolate cake. What we got was a triangle of ganache, with some soft thin crumble under layer and some hard white chocolate swirled through.. to you know pretty it up! Then to really pretty up the plate the put a large line of what appeared to be canned cream (which totally took me back to Lisbon, where they sold what looked like a supermarket apple cake with a mountain of canned cream on top, and of course canned rice pudding, the canned rice pudding cracked me up the most.. coz rice pudding has to be one of the easiest desserts to make to start with.) The final touches to the pretty factor of the plate was a dusting of cocoa powder, some strawberries and a raspberry WITH the bonus of a fly. Yes that's right folk, they served a fly. Clear as day too.. how the frak did they miss it? [click to see Emma's instagram photo]

I took the dessert back, showed them the fly. NO apology, but she did say "we will get you a new one" which in most places would mean that you get a whole new dish right? Well in this particular place, a new one meant just a new berry minus the fly. The 'new' plate was served. We sat there in disbelief for a while. We were then ignored by the staff as much as they possibly could. The waitress even came to clear away our empty glasses and didn't even ask if we would like anything else. We asked for the bill. We still had to pay full price for the fly dessert. We did as Swedes do, we paid, no tip, we left. No fuss. I wanted to make a fuss but I knew that would not bode well for my darling.

I learnt early on in Sweden, customer service is the pits here. The customer is wrong. Do not argue. They have no idea about cake. They do nice sponges with more cream than sponge but they don't know cake. When I see cake on a menu I do not believe it is cake. 

I can honestly say I will never go back to that establishment. They treated us like we had placed the fly on the berry ourselves, when it was clear that that little fucker was glued to it well before it even made it out of the berry container... perhaps even more it made it into the berry container. Which means one thing.. there was no washing of the berries.

2 comments:

  1. They clearly dont know what they are doing .... the fly is meant to go in the soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! That is why we did not order the soup! I did however, see a guy slurping some flyless soup and I could see in his face the disappointment as each spoonful went in and no fly was found. I hope he got a refund!

      Delete

Comment away.. you know you wanna!
Leave me a banana while you are at it!
A banana a day makes you ready to play!

These aren't the words you're looking for.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_S0WeTkzs
To see my full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/jocrumbs
To see Emma's full instagram feed - http://instagram.com/subspeaker (coz you know she takes some awesome pics too.. and some even feature me.. so I have to share those!)